We Were Liars - A Review By Jen

What is it about?
Four friends meet on an idyllic island each summer. Three are the grandchildren of the owner of the island, all his daughters are vying for his attention. The fourth friend is the nephew of one of the daughter's partners. They call themselves liars.

Who is it for? 
Teens/Young Adults

Genre?
Teen angst

Is it any good?
I can't decide whether I like it or detest it, in other words it's a marmite book. I know how Laura feels about re-reading books, but I think this one warrants it as I really want to find clues to the major twist. The fact that Cady our narrator is a self confessed liar, we know from the start she is not to be trusted. She states she got shot by her Dad after her parents break up but straight after she and her mum are packing their bags.
This makes for a very strange read, but kind of enthralling. This is summer seventeen, as Cady is also seventeen. She was in Europe with her Dad for summer sixteen and had an accident during summer fifteen which leaves her suffering with migranes. She fails to remember the events of this summer and no-one will tell her what happened and how she became injured.
Interspersed with this is a love story between Cady and Gat, the nephew, which seems a bit one sided after the events of Summer fifteen. Also there are numerous references to William Shakespeare's King Lear, since the Grandad resembles the titular character.
I did and did not enjoy this book, very strange, indecisive Jen.

Was the ending satisfactory?
Can't tell you....Spoilers!

Would I recommend this book? 
Yes strangely I would

Read it if you like:
I haven't read anything else like it  

No comments :

Post a Comment