Carry On - A Review By Laura


What is it about?
Simon Snow just wants to relax and savor his last year at the Watford School of Magicks, but no one will let him. His girlfriend broke up with him, his best friend is a pest, and his mentor keeps trying to hide him away in the mountains where maybe he’ll be safe. Simon can’t even enjoy the fact that his roommate and longtime nemesis is missing, because he can’t stop worrying about the evil git. Plus there are ghosts. And vampires. And actual evil things trying to shut Simon down. When you’re the most powerful magician the world has ever known, you never get to relax and savor anything.
Carry On is a ghost story, a love story, a mystery and a melodrama. It has just as much kissing and talking as you’d expect from a Rainbow Rowell story — but far, far more monsters.


Who is it for?
Young adults 

Genre? 
fantasy fiction

Is it any good?
I took a little bit more convincing getting into this book, although I was the one introducing Jen to Rainbow Rowell and telling her a little bit about this book she automatically loved it where as I felt the beginning was a little bit too similar to Harry Potter for my liking. On saying that I am so glad that Jen kept on at me to just keep reading because I honestly loved the book once I got into it. If it wasn't for the similarities to Harry Potter there is no doubt in my mind this book would have got 5 stars.

I was looking forward to this book just from reading the extracts in Fangirl, Rainbow Rowell introduced us to Simon and Baz as part of Caths fanfiction in her latest release before this which was called Fangirl. As soon as I heard that she was actually writing a book dedicated solely to those characters I was excited. Just like in every Rainbow Rowell character you will come across she writes these characters just as amazing and lovable if not more when looking at Simon, Baz and Penny... Agatha annoyed me a little but I suppose in a way that just makes the book that little bit better. A good book puts you through a lot of different emotions and this book does just that! So although I couldn't really get started with this book I was actually really upset to be finishing it... You are yet to let me down Rowell.

Was the ending Satisfactory?
Yes, I wasn't left thinking 'is that it?' or 'what happens next?'

Would I recommend the book?
Highly, I was recommending this book from the snippets of it we got to read from Fangirl before I had even read Carry On 

Read it if you like:
Rainbow Rowell
John Green
Krystal Sutherland 

No comments :

Post a Comment