Our Chemical Hearts - A Review By Jen



What is it about?
Boy meets girl….

Who is it for?
Teens/Young Adults and Up!

Genre?
Teenage Angst/Romance

Is it any good?
Laura bought me this after an argument….we should have them more often as it’s an ace book. Henry Page is just the most adorable teen ever and he falls for Grace the new girl at school: unwashed, bad haircut, and wearing boy’s clothes. What is good is that he falls for her soul and not her external features. This isn’t a transgender narrative, nor is it a cliché teenage romance. There are little lines reminiscent of other teen romance books: ‘that was the first night I dreamt of Grace Town’. It screamed Stephenie Meyer’s ‘Twilight’ at me and I was about to put it down on the bus. A quick text to Laura and she convinced me to keep on going and I am glad I did.
The whole narrative plays with the idea of reality love versus fairy-tale love. He falls for her; but there is a reality there I don’t want to go into as I don’t want to spoil the book. I love the cuteness of it all especially the fish bits. Also Henry’s parents are a scream and the relationship he has with them.
These are real issues that teenagers and young adults deal with and it deals with superbly. I couldn’t put the book down and I wanted more. I just can’t go into the actual story….SPOILERS. But well done and Krystal and thank you Laura!

Was the ending satisfactory?
No but it was understandable…. I am not giving it a five for that reason.

Would I recommend the book?

Of course I would, read it and love it.

Read it if you like:
All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven
Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon
Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

No comments :

Post a Comment