Only Time Will Tell - A Review By Jen


What is it about?
Harry Clifton growing up and falling in love.

Who is it for?
Young Adults and upwards….

Genre?
Family Saga/Bildungsroman

Is it any good?
When it was reported that Jeffrey Archer had gone to prison and was then publishing his prison diaries, I said I wouldn’t read a book by him. I thought he was just some trumped up author cashing in, when he had clearly done something wrong. Anyhow I was in work and saw the Clifton Chronicles Volume 1 and 2 and then the others started appearing him, when Volume 6 (Cometh the Hour) was released. The covers drew me and you know how I like a saga…… I relented and bought it. Read it. And I bought the rest……

Only Time Will Tell starts as ‘typical’ bildungsroman (coming of age story – sorry for the big word it’s my English Literature degree kicking in). Young Harry Clifton goes to a top educational establishment. The book is divided into character arcs, which intertwine and start with the first person perspective, before the third person perspective kicks in for the rest of the arc. These arcs end with a duff duff (EastEnders cliff hanger – from my years of watching soap operas), which keeps the reader reading.

The characters are well written and well formed. It’s very Dickensian in part, but it works and works well. Never Say Never …. You might just lose out.

Was the ending satisfactory?
It ends like a soap opera episode…on a cliff-hanger!!!

Would I recommend the book?
Yes, it was a really good read.

Read it if you like:
Charles Dickens and family sagas!

No comments :

Post a Comment