Top Ten Tuesday - Top Ten Favourite Book Series - Jens Choice

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme created and hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week we are given a different top ten to complete. For more information and a list of past and future topics, go here
There will be two separate Top Tens this week as Jen has chosen to look at her favourite book series where as Laura has chosen her Top Ten Books of the Romance genre that she has read. 

1. The Dollanganger Series by Virginia Andrews (Chronologically: Garden of Shadows, Flowers in the Attic, Petals on the Wind, If There Be Thorns, Seeds of Yesterday) This family saga unveils secrets that haunt the Foxworths for generations. I have re-read and re-read this series so many times and it still manages to twang my heartstrings.


2. The Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer (Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner, Breaking Dawn) Yes it includes vampires that sparkle in the sun and yes I include the novella in the canon as the characters feature in Eclipse. This is a series of teenage angst and romance and fantasy thrown in. Love.

3. The Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling (Harry Potter and the: Philosopher’s Stone, Chamber of Secrets, Prisoner of Azkaban, Goblet of Fire, Order of the Phoenix, Half-Blood Prince, Deathly Hallows…. I have yet to read the Cursed Child…how bad am I?) JK brings the world of witchcraft and wizardry to life, my imagination runs wild every time I read them and re-read them. The fourth remains my favourite as it is when the books went darker with the rise of Voldemort and the shock death of Cedric Diggory.

4. The Shopaholic Series by Sophie Kinsella (The Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic, Shopaholic Abroad, Shopaholic Ties the Knot, Shopaholic and Sister, Shopaholic and Baby, Mini Shopaholic, Shopaholic to the Stars, Shopaholic to the Rescue) Light hearted comedy and romance with lots of shopping, she is basically me and has the same logic as me. Basically I am Becky Brandon nee Bloomwood.

5. The Tudors/Cousins War Series by Philippa Gregory (too many books to name…sorry) This historical faction series brings The War of the Roses to life right through to the birth and death of King Henry VIII and of course his many wives. Some events have been fictionalised, when the truth is not largely known. The focus of these books is on the women of this dynasty, and I can’t help but feel an emotional connection to them.

6. The Discworld Series by Terry Pratchett (I am not listing all forty-one books!!!) Very humorous books. Just read and don’t really ask questions as to why or what’s happening…just go with the flow and smile and don’t forget to read the footnotes,

7. The Divergent Series by Veronica Roth (Divergent, Insurgent, Allegiant, Four) Set in a categorised society, post-nuclear war, Tris Prior is one strong female, who does not belong. Similar to The Hunger Games in many ways, it is a quadrilogy (Four is a collection of short stories, involving Tris and is based around the events of the Divergent series: I believe it is canon), that is an adventure to self-discovery.

8. The Hunger Games Series by Suzanne Collins (The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, Mockingjay) When I saw the trailers for the film I didn’t want to see the film and never heard of the books, but I relented and loved them. The Katniss/Peeta/Gale love triangle is enthralling.

9. The Clifton Chronicles by Jeffrey Archer (Google them) They should be called the Clifton/Barrington Chronicles really, but this family saga is captivating, with numerous antagonists trying to bring the family down along the way. Pure genius, can’t wait till the last one arrives this November.

10. The Spook’s Series by Joseph Delaney (Thirteen books: the majority have the word Spook’s in the title) Set in the heart of Lancashire with demons, ghosts and other supernatural elements doing battle with the local Spook and his apprentice. Like a very much darker Harry Potter, without Hermione or Ron. Was told to buy them ages ago, but it was only when I met the author at a signing I relented….they are just captivating.

4 comments :

  1. I love that you have old school VC Andrews on your list! I was obsessed with her books, and Petals on the Wind is one of my favorites. Great list- I'm going to have to check out the Spook's Series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Top Ten! The Hunger Games Trilogy will always be a favorite! I don't know why I didn't think to add it to my list! My Top Ten Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your topic choice! The Hunger Games is also one of my favourite ever series, and I'm also currently reading the Harry Potter series and already loving it :)
    Heres my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Spooks Series is amazing, and yes I love being old school!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete